This recipe is such a hit it's "traveled" all over the country! My mother originated the recipe in Pennsylvania...I brought it to Texas when I married...I'm still making it in California...and my daughter treats her friends to this "oldie" in Colorado. It's hearty yet simple to prepare. —Helen Carmichall, Santee, California
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, layer half of the meat, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle
- with half of the salt if desired and pepper. Repeat layers. Dissolve
- bouillon in water; pour over all. Top with tomatoes. Cover and cook
- over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 314 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.