This recipe is such a hit it's traveled all over the country! My mother originated the recipe in Pennsylvania, I brought it to Texas when I married, I'm still making it in California, and my daughter treats her friends to this "oldie" in Colorado. It's hearty, yet simple to prepare. —Helen Carmichall, Santee, California
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, layer half of the meat, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper. Repeat layers. Dissolve bouillon in water; pour over all. Top with tomatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hamburger Casserole in Reminisce Extra August 1994, p49
Reviews for Hamburger Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review