Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, layer half of the meat, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with half of the salt if desired and pepper. Repeat layers. Dissolve bouillon in water; pour over all. Top with tomatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Casserole(40)
Sort By :
First off, the prep time is totally inaccurate. Pealing and slicing 4 pounds of potatoes takes 30 minutes. In fact, that was way too many potatoes.. So the actual prep time is about 45 minutes if you are using fresh ingredients. This dish is very bland, requires a lot of salt and pepper, and that amount of salt is just not healthy. Also very runny. And the answer to the constant question here, brown the hamburger first with the onion.
This was pretty good. Needed a lot of salt and kept feeling like it was missing something else. My husband had two servings so he liked it. I did brown the ground beef first, before layering. and I questioned it myself whether or not I was supposed to. Glad I did.
Do you need to cook the meat first to me I would then layer the meat then the potatoes and the rest of the stuff please let me know if I should cook the meat first
My mom got this recipe from a neighbor in the '60's. My dad named it Sophie's mess after the neighbor. Mom fixed it often. But to tell you the truth, I always hated it! Just never did anything for me. I usually love TOH recipes, but I had to laugh when this was first published.
OMG, my Mom made something similar to this in the 50's..what a comfort food this was. i will have to make this but for one person only..my Mom always browned the ground beef first, then drained the fat/grease and put it in the oven. i'm sure this would be a great slow cooker recipe along with a salad and some crusty artisan bread. tomorrow will be a good day for this. thnx for the memories Helen, hagd !
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >