Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, layer half of the meat, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with half of the salt if desired and pepper. Repeat layers. Dissolve bouillon in water; pour over all. Top with tomatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Casserole
Sort By :
I found this casserole very bland and a bit watery. Next time I will try to do as suggested and use scallop potatoes plus onion soup mix. I did brown the meat and onions, but still had no flavor. Sukie
I have to agree with some, it was a little bland and seemed like it was lacking something. I even added garlic which helped. Maybe a little sauce would thicken it and hold the ingredients. The idea was good but I would not make again as is. By the way, I used smaller red potatoes and did not peel. Quick and easy.
First off, the prep time is totally inaccurate. Pealing and slicing 4 pounds of potatoes takes 30 minutes. In fact, that was way too many potatoes.. So the actual prep time is about 45 minutes if you are using fresh ingredients. This dish is very bland, requires a lot of salt and pepper, and that amount of salt is just not healthy. Also very runny. And the answer to the constant question here, brown the hamburger first with the onion.
This was pretty good. Needed a lot of salt and kept feeling like it was missing something else. My husband had two servings so he liked it. I did brown the ground beef first, before layering. and I questioned it myself whether or not I was supposed to. Glad I did.
Do you need to cook the meat first to me I would then layer the meat then the potatoes and the rest of the stuff please let me know if I should cook the meat first
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >