Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, layer half of the meat, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with half of the salt if desired and pepper. Repeat layers. Dissolve bouillon in water; pour over all. Top with tomatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Casserole(39)
Sort By :
This was pretty good. Needed a lot of salt and kept feeling like it was missing something else. My husband had two servings so he liked it. I did brown the ground beef first, before layering. and I questioned it myself whether or not I was supposed to. Glad I did.
Do you need to cook the meat first to me I would then layer the meat then the potatoes and the rest of the stuff please let me know if I should cook the meat first
My mom got this recipe from a neighbor in the '60's. My dad named it Sophie's mess after the neighbor. Mom fixed it often. But to tell you the truth, I always hated it! Just never did anything for me. I usually love TOH recipes, but I had to laugh when this was first published.
OMG, my Mom made something similar to this in the 50's..what a comfort food this was. i will have to make this but for one person only..my Mom always browned the ground beef first, then drained the fat/grease and put it in the oven. i'm sure this would be a great slow cooker recipe along with a salad and some crusty artisan bread. tomorrow will be a good day for this. thnx for the memories Helen, hagd !
My mother is from Charleston, SC and has made this casserole for 50 plus years. She doesn't use tomatoes but includes a layer of cooked mushrooms. Still a requested favorite!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >