- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, layer half of the meat, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper. Repeat layers. Dissolve bouillon in water; pour over all. Top with tomatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Casserole
Sort By :
"This seems very bland. I was given another version of this receipe. Put hamburger and onion in bottom of dutch oven . Add sliced potatoes and then 1 can of mushroom soup. Add veg you like peas, carrots,then creamed corn. top with can of tomato soup and bake at 350 a couple of hours until potatoes and meat is done."
"This is a very old recipe--I have version (no bullion or parsley) of it in a church ladies handwritten cookbook from about 1930. I add garlic, frozen corn and carrots to mine when I make it."
"Growing up, we used to call this "Shipwreck Mix-Up". Such fond memories eating this. I'll be making this REALLY soon!"
"I found this casserole very bland and a bit watery. Next time I will try to do as suggested and use scallop potatoes plus onion soup mix. I did brown the meat and onions, but still had no flavor. Sukie"
"I have to agree with some, it was a little bland and seemed like it was lacking something. I even added garlic which helped. Maybe a little sauce would thicken it and hold the ingredients. The idea was good but I would not make again as is. By the way, I used smaller red potatoes and did not peel. Quick and easy."