Donna Thomas from Dallas has won over 200 ribbons for foods she’s entered at the Texas State Fair. Among them is this savory corn bread, stuffed with sausage and ham, that took the blue ribbon in the Cornbread Cookoff. “It’s practically a meal in itself!“ notes Donna.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/3 pound bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onions in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the ham, sausage and green pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet or 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hambalaya Corn Bread in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p7
Reviews for Hambalaya Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2015
"very easy just used ham no sausage"
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2009
"This is a great cornbread recipe, we just add a salad and you have a whole meal. Thanks"