Ham with Spiced-Cherry Sauce
This showstopping entree will have everyone coming back for more. It’s a simple treatment that lends an appealing sweet-tart flavor to tender ham. Sherry Thompson - Seneca, South Carolina
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours 20 min. + standing
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham (6 pounds)
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) cherry preserves
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting
- pan. Score the surface of ham, making diamond shapes 1/2 in. deep.
- Bake, uncovered, 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine preserves, vinegar, brown
- sugar, water and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour 3/4 cup sauce mixture over the ham. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or
- until a thermometer reads 140°. Serve with remaining sauce.
- Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 5 ounces cooked ham with about 1-1/2 tablespoons glaze equals 269 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,570 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or