Ham with Maple Gravy Recipe
- 1 fully cooked boneless ham (6 pounds)
- 30 whole cloves
- 3/4 cup maple syrup, divided
- 4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 cups apple juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium tart apples, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1. Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Score the surface of the ham, making diamond shapes 1/2 in. deep; insert a clove in each diamond. Combine 1/2 cup maple syrup and mustard; pour over ham. Pour apple juice into the roasting pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 140°, basting frequently.
- 2. Remove ham and keep warm. Transfer the pan juices to a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 3. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples and remaining maple syrup. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Slice ham; serve with apples and gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
4 ounces ham equals 328 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 2,036 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer