Ham Wellington Recipe
For over 25 years, I've made this beautiful ham in a golden crust at holiday dinners, and people think I'm the fanciest cook they ever met—never knowing how simple it was to prepare. Serve it with your favorite sauce. —Sharon Devereaux, Speedway, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 7 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a food processor, combine the flour, mustard and salt. Add cheese and butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add 6 tablespoons water until a firm ball forms. Transfer to a large bowl. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Let ham stand at room temperature for 30 minutes; pat dry with paper towels. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45 minutes.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place warm ham in the center of pastry. Fold short sides of pastry over ham; fold long sides over top, trimming edges as needed. Press seams and edges until smooth and sealed.
- 4. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine egg and remaining water; brush over pastry. Cut decorative cutouts from trimmings if desired; arrange on pastry and brush with egg mixture.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 140° and pastry is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC