Ever since my niece gave me this recipe, I've shared it with many of my friends. The crunchy golden brown topping and colorful ingredients present a tantalizing dish. It's my favorite brunch entree to serve. -Diane Meyer, Geneseo, New York
Recommended: 22 Leftover Ham Recipes
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 12 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan. Add zucchini, broccoli and carrot; bring to a boil. Cook, covered, 5-10 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, cut each bread slice in half diagonally; place half of the pieces in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the vegetables, ham, mushrooms and cheeses. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, onion, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over the ham mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Toss cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over the casserole. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Ham Vegetable Strata in Reminisce May/June 2003, p48
Reviews for Ham Vegetable Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review