In this tasty main dish, pretty yellow summer squash are mounded with a flavorful filling featuring ham and two kinds of cheese.—Fran Shaffer, Coatesville, Pennsylvania
Recommended: How to Cook in Foil Packets
- 4 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini (about 6 inches)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Chop pulp and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook shells in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside. In another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender; remove from the heat. Add ham, bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, egg, paprika, pepper and squash pulp; mix well.
- Spoon into shells. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ham-Stuffed Squash Boats in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p20
Reviews for Ham-Stuffed Squash Boats
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 30, 2011
"I MADE THESE FOR SUPPER TONIGHT. THEY WERE DELICIOUS. THERE WAS TOO MUCH FILLING SO I FIXED ANOTHER SQUASH AND JUST DIDN'T SAVE THE SEEDS PART BUT DID USE THE SQUASH I SCRAPED OUT. ANOTHER GOOD SQUASH RECIPE."