- 8 manicotti shells
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups (1 pound) ground fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Cook manicotti according to package directions; set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Add the ham, mushrooms, half of Swiss and Parmesan cheeses; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until combined. Add milk; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir a quarter of the sauce into ham mixture.
- Stuff each shell with about 1/3 cup of filling. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley and remaining Swiss cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Ham-Stuffed Manicotti
"Very good. Every one loved it."
"I made this for a ladies Christmas luncheon. Oh Em Gee!!! Everyone loved it, there were no leftovers. It's just excellent!!!!"
"Really tasty. The white sauce is not a cheese sauce as described - but does balance out the salty ham. I used a bit of cream in place of the milk because I had some to use up, and also added a pinch of salt to the white sauce. I'd make this for company!"
"This is great for company too!"
"Really was so much better than I thought, I tweaked it a bit and cut the green pepper in thin strips instead of dicing so that my husband could pick it out since he's not a fan and I substituted half of the milk for heavy whipping cream because I had some left over on hand. Let me say that it made a really great sauce! I took leftovers to work and everyone was curious and thought I was such a gourmet, I will definately make again!"
"Great recipe, bakes beautifully. I get regular requests for this one."
"Wonderful change from the heavy Cheese or Spinach recipes out there. I used more fresh mushrooms than the recipe called for. I also used Fontina Cheese instead of the swiss, it was what I had on hand. Will definitely make this again, and try it with the Swiss cheese."
"add asparagus instead of mushrooms?"