Ham Pasties Recipe
You'll find these in my recipe file under "F"—for "favorites"! My husband is a retired bank manager...we have two married sons and a granddaughter.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:27 servings
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound shortening
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 cups diced fully cooked ham (1/4-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening, half at a time, until crumbly. Combine 1/2 cup water, egg and vinegar; add all at once to flour mixture and toss with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add remaining water only if necessary. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for several hours.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a fourth of the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a 3-1/2- to 4-in. round cutter, cut dough into circles. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Spread a scant tablespoon of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edge slightly with water and fold over, sealing with the tines of a fork. Cut slits in top of pasties.
- 4. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. In a small bowl, beat egg with water; brush tops of pasties. Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Yield: 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 281 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 378 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC