Ham on Biscuits Recipe
I enjoy entertaining friends at luncheons. They always compliment me on these special little ham sandwiches made on cheesy homemade biscuits. Usually, I use Smithfield ham, but if salty ham is not your preference, any thin-sliced ham works well. —Betsy Hedeman, Timonium, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 8 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, beat cottage cheese 2 minutes. Beat in egg and milk until blended. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut out eight biscuits with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Split biscuits in half; spread with softened butter. Place ham on biscuit bottoms; replace tops. Yield: 8 sandwiches.
2 sandwiches equals 350 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 1,021 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC