My husband and I build up an appetite after a long day doing chores on the farm. So I've come to rely on this creamy, comforting casserole. Horseradish and mustard add a little zip. —Mary Richards, Ellendale, Minnesota
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 to 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 6 cups cooked wide egg noodles
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt
- butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add
- milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened
- and bubbly. Add horseradish and mustard; mix well. Stir in noodles,
- ham and cheese.
- Pour into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or
- until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 470 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 1,121 mg sodium,