Ham Kabobs Recipe
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked lean ham (2 cups)
- 4 Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and brown sugar. Pour half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add ham and sausage. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- 2. Place sweet potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the ham, sausage, sweet potatoes, green peppers, onion, tomatoes and pineapple.
- 4. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8-10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160° and vegetables are tender, turning and basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Yield: 8 servings.
1 kabob equals 281 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,074 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.