Ham in Cider Sauce
If you don't want the hassle of making a whole ham, prepare these tasty ham steaks instead. I like to serve these with scalloped potatoes.—Deborah Maki, Kamloops, British Columbia
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 2 boneless fully cooked ham steaks (1 inch thick and 1 pound each)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Insert cloves into edges of ham steaks; rub steaks with brown sugar.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large
- saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in apple cider and raisins. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over ham steaks. Bake,
- uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard
- cloves before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces ham with 1/3 cup sauce equals 317 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 1,499 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as