Ham Hot Dish Recipe
Parmesan cheese makes this a rich and tasty variation of traditional macaroni and cheese. My family has come to expect this meal whenever I have leftover ham.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 package (7 ounces) macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper, mushrooms and pimientos. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; add macaroni and mix well.
- 2. Spoon half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with ham and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Top with the remaining macaroni mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 228 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC