Parmesan cheese makes this a rich and tasty variation of traditional macaroni and cheese. My family has come to expect this meal whenever I have leftover ham.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 package (7 ounces) macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper, mushrooms and pimientos. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; add macaroni and mix well.
- Spoon half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with ham and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Top with the remaining macaroni mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Ham Hot Dish in Country Pork 1996, p90
Reviews for Ham Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review