- until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 1 minute or until thickened. Stir into ham mixture.
- Spread into an 8-in. square baking dish; cover and refrigerate for at
- least 2 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg and water. Place bread crumbs in a
- separate shallow bowl. Shape ham mixture into 12 balls (mixture will
- be soft); roll each ball into egg mixture, then bread crumbs. Cover
- and refrigerate 2 hours longer.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- croquettes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown,
- turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt
- and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mustard. Serve
- with croquettes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 croquette with 2-1/2 teaspoons sauce equals 188 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.