Ham Croquettes with Mustard Sauce Recipe
Any leftover ham is set aside for these crispy croquettes. I shape them early in the day, then simply fry them at dinnertime. The mustard sauce is mild and pairs well with ham.Kathy Vincek, Toms River, New Jersey
- 2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4-1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- In a small bowl, combine the ham, onion and parsley; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir into ham mixture.
- Spread into an 8-in. square baking dish; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg and water. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Shape ham mixture into 12 balls (mixture will be soft); roll each ball into egg mixture, then bread crumbs. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours longer.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry croquettes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mustard. Serve with croquettes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Ham Croquettes with Mustard Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p234
Reviews for Ham Croquettes with Mustard Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review