Ham Corn Au Gratin Recipe
I found this recipe in one of my mother's cookbooks from back during the Depression. It's still as satisfying today as it was back then.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1-1/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 7 crackers)
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and pepper until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a greased 1-qt. baking dish, layer the ham, corn, green pepper and onion. Pour sauce over top. In a bowl, combine the cheese, crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 552 calories, 33 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 1,290 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC