Ham Cheddar Chowder Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain and set vegetables aside.
- 2. In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and reserved vegetables. Cook on low until heated through. Do not boil. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 each: 417 calories, 26g fat (17g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1238mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Ham Cheddar Chowder
"I would make this again. It did get really thick at end so I added half n half. Whole family liked this. Which is very rare!!"
"I have made this recipe many times and it is a favorite, especially with my husband. I usually cut the cheese down to 2 cups and cut the milk down to 3 cups. I put this together a bit differently in that I don't drain the vegetables and I eliminate the butter (and the step of making the white sauce) by mixing the flour with the milk and stirring it into the boiling vegetables. I shake the flour and milk together in one of those Tupperware® shakers. If preferred, one could substitute 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch for the flour.A very hearty, delicious soup. One could accompany it simply with bread or crackers and maybe some raw vegetables."