Ham Cheddar Chowder Recipe
Living in Wisconsin, I like to make dishes featuring cheese, and this chowder is one of my favorites. It makes a great meal served with salad greens and rye rolls.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain and set vegetables aside.
- 2. In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and reserved vegetables. Cook on low until heated through. Do not boil. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 each) equals 417 calories, 26 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 1,238 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC