- 3 cups water
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain and set vegetables aside.
- In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and reserved vegetables. Cook on low until heated through. Do not boil. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Ham Cheddar Chowder
"I would make this again. It did get really thick at end so I added half n half. Whole family liked this. Which is very rare!!"
"I have made this recipe many times and it is a favorite, especially with my husband. I usually cut the cheese down to 2 cups and cut the milk down to 3 cups. I put this together a bit differently in that I don't drain the vegetables and I eliminate the butter (and the step of making the white sauce) by mixing the flour with the milk and stirring it into the boiling vegetables. I shake the flour and milk together in one of those Tupperware® shakers. If preferred, one could substitute 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch for the flour.A very hearty, delicious soup. One could accompany it simply with bread or crackers and maybe some raw vegetables."