Ham Cauliflower Chowder Recipe
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups cauliflowerets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a soup kettle, simmer ham bone in water for 1-1/2 hours. Remove ham bone; set cooking liquid aside. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone; discard bone. Return ham to cooking liquid; set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to ham and liquid. Add cauliflower and potatoes. Cook until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Cauliflower Ham Chowder in Country Woman March/April 2000, p29
Reviews for Ham Cauliflower Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2012
It was a great tasting chowder. I made one little adjustment because my family likes a little kick so I added some cayenne pepper. Made it wonderful for my family