Ham Carbonara Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thick sliced deli ham, cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the zucchini, summer squash, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add ham and peas; heat through. Remove from the skillet and keep warm.
- 2. Reduce heat to low; add eggs to the skillet. Cook and stir until egg coats the back of a spoon and reaches 160° (mixture will look like a soft frothy egg).
- 3. Drain spaghetti and place in a bowl. Add eggs; toss to coat. Add the vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, thyme, salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 456 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 915mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Ham Carbonara
"I followed directions, other than substituting a second zucchini for the summer squash, and my whole family liked it, but it needs a broth or sauce. The pasta was a little dry. We were throwing out ideas like a broth, half and half, or even some butter. But I liked the wealth of vegetables and a carbonara without the bacon. With a little sauce in mind, we would try this again. I was also happily surprised that it took me just under 40 minutes to complete the dish."
"Nice, quick recipe that tastes great!"
"We apologize for any confusion with this recipe and we'll make a few tweaks to make it clearer. At the end of the first step where it says, "Remove and keep warm", everything should be removed from the skillet before the eggs are added.The eggs are to be cooked until they're thickened. A visual indicator of that is when they coat the back of a spoon without easily running off.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"I did not use the ham or the yellow summer squash, instead I doubled the zuccini. For the spices I used a mix of fresh rosemary lemon thyme, basil and marjarom, apox. 1/2 teaspoon each. I cooked the eggs right with the veggies, added it about 1/2 way through. I doubled the Parmesan cheese, I would add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt."
"It is not clear when to add the eggs. Do you take the veggies out of the pan, then add the eggs, or what? What do you mean, cook and stir egg mixture until it coats the back of a spoon? Confusing!"
"I'm confused when and what do I add the eggs too. I added it to the veggies something didn't come out right."
"This was just OK. I like all of the veggies in it, but I have other, way better carbonara recipes."
"This recipe is great. I peeled the summer squash and excluded the eggs to make it healthier."
"It tasted fine, but got dried out when reheated."
"This has a really nice light flavor that is quick and easy. I used leftover ham and no yellow squash and the whole onion."