Ham Carbonara Recipe
The colorful veggies in this pasta dish will brighten any weeknight. The sauce is light, but feels rich and comforting, too. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thick sliced deli ham, cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the zucchini, summer squash, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add ham and peas; heat through. Remove from the skillet and keep warm.
- 2. Reduce heat to low; add eggs to the skillet. Cook and stir until egg coats the back of a spoon and reaches 160° (mixture will look like a soft frothy egg).
- 3. Drain spaghetti and place in a bowl. Add eggs; toss to coat. Add the vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, thyme, salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 456 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC