- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thick sliced deli ham, cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the zucchini, summer squash, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add ham and peas; heat through. Remove from the skillet and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to low; add eggs to the skillet. Cook and stir until egg coats the back of a spoon and reaches 160° (mixture will look like a soft frothy egg).
- Drain spaghetti and place in a bowl. Add eggs; toss to coat. Add the vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, thyme, salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Ham Carbonara
Sort By :
We apologize for any confusion with this recipe and we'll make a few tweaks to make it clearer. At the end of the first step where it says, "Remove and keep warm", everything should be removed from the skillet before the eggs are added.
The eggs are to be cooked until they're thickened. A visual indicator of that is when they coat the back of a spoon without easily running off.
Taste of Home Test Kitchen
I did not use the ham or the yellow summer squash, instead I doubled the zuccini. For the spices I used a mix of fresh rosemary lemon thyme, basil and marjarom, apox. 1/2 teaspoon each. I cooked the eggs right with the veggies, added it about 1/2 way through. I doubled the Parmesan cheese, I would add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
It is not clear when to add the eggs. Do you take the veggies out of the pan, then add the eggs, or what? What do you mean, cook and stir egg mixture until it coats the back of a spoon? Confusing!
I'm confused when and what do I add the eggs too. I added it to the veggies something didn't come out right.
This was just OK. I like all of the veggies in it, but I have other, way better carbonara recipes.
More Recipe Collections
- Pea Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Pasta Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >