Ham Biscuits Recipe
Our home economists make ordinary biscuits them even heartier by stirring in ground ham. These handheld goodies are great fresh from the oven.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a food processor, process ham until ground; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, onion powder, garlic powder and mustard. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Fold in ham and chives. Add buttermilk; stir just until the dough clings together.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10-12 times. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Serve warm. Yield: 10 biscuits.
1 serving (1 each) equals 116 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC