This tasty main dish, pairing ham and pork, is a wonderful way to use up leftover Easter ham. Covered with a savory brown sugar sauce, these ham balls are hard to resist. —Ellen Benninger, Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup crushed bite-sized Shredded Wheat
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and cereal; crumble ham and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. to 2-in. balls; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Pour over ham balls. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ham Balls in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p31
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Ham Balls with Brown Sugar Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review