Ham and Vegetable Soup Recipe
The basis for this soup's broth conveniently comes from canned bean soup. Everyone who tries this comments on how nicely the smoky flavor of ham blends with the vegetables.
- 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup each frozen corn, peas and cut green beans
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place ham hocks, carrots, celery, onion and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat starts to all off the bones.
- 2. Add potatoes and vegetables; bring to a boil oil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove hocks; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; discard bones. Return meat to kettle. Stir in bean and bacon soup and pepper; heat through. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 253 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC