- 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup each frozen corn, peas and cut green beans
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place ham hocks, carrots, celery, onion and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat starts to all off the bones.
- Add potatoes and vegetables; bring to a boil oil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove hocks; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; discard bones. Return meat to kettle. Stir in bean and bacon soup and pepper; heat through. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews forHam and Vegetable Soup
"Both my husband & I loved it. Had a leftover meaty ham bone, used it with a little liquid smoke. A keeper."
"I brought ham shanks by mistake and did not know what to make with them, so I made this soup and the whole family loved it!"