Layers of breakfast favorites will have folks digging into this all-in-one dish from Dorothy Smith of El Dorado, Arkansas. The hearty combination of eggs, ham and cheese is just right to build a holiday brunch around—or to serve all by itself. "Often in our house," Dorothy adds, "the mix makes a satisfying supper as well."
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
- 8 slices bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the parsley, onion, ham and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Pour over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Swiss Strata in Country Woman March/April 2000, p27
Reviews for Ham and Swiss Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 3, 2012
"I cut the milk back by about 1/2 cup. It was very runny otherwise and the top got too browned before the inside would set. Very tasty and the toddler loved it! Making it for Easter brunch. Its fantastic"