Ham and Swiss Braid Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, mustard and butter to 120°-130°. Add to flour mixture. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be stiff). Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Roll dough into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Arrange half of the ham over dough. Top with cheese, pickles and remaining ham.
- 3. On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- 4. Brush with egg. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 395 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1054mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein .
Reviews for Ham and Swiss Braid
"Easty to make, quick to prepare, and tasted absolutely amazing! I added a little bit of garlic to the bread dough itself for a little kick and omitted the pickles and absolutely loved how it turned out."
"This is sooo yummy!I have made it several times and my family LOVED it! I would definantly make it again:)"
"I have made this for baby showers, friends getting together to play cards. Everyone has loved it. Sometimes I use turkey and provolone. 5* from me"