Ham and Swiss Braid Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, mustard and butter to 120°-130°. Add to flour mixture. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be stiff). Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Roll dough into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Arrange half of the ham over dough. Top with cheese, pickles and remaining ham.
- 3. On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- 4. Brush with egg. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 395 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1054mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Ham and Swiss Braid
"Easty to make, quick to prepare, and tasted absolutely amazing! I added a little bit of garlic to the bread dough itself for a little kick and omitted the pickles and absolutely loved how it turned out."
"This is sooo yummy!I have made it several times and my family LOVED it! I would definantly make it again:)"
"I have made this for baby showers, friends getting together to play cards. Everyone has loved it. Sometimes I use turkey and provolone. 5* from me"