- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, mustard and butter to 120°-130°. Add to flour mixture. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be stiff). Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Arrange half of the ham over dough. Top with cheese, pickles and remaining ham.
- On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Swiss Braid in Country December/January 2002, p51
Reviews for Ham and Swiss Braid
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 15, 2011
"This is sooo yummy!I have made it several times and my family LOVED it! I would definantly make it again:)"
Reviewed Apr. 24, 2009
"I have made this for baby showers, friends getting together to play cards. Everyone has loved it. Sometimes I use turkey and provolone. 5* from me"