- 4 to 5 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups julienned fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 whole fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, orange peel, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Stir in the ham, celery, apricots and sweet potatoes.
- Stand pineapple upright and cut in half vertically, leaving the top attached. Remove fruit, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cut fruit into chunks; stir 1 cup into the salad (save remaining fruit for another use). Cover and refrigerate salad and shells for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, stir pecans into salad. Spoon into pineapple shells. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Sweet Potato Salad in Country October/November 2003, p51
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Ham and Sweet Potato Salad(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review