Ham and Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, chili powder and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the ham, onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 422 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 187 mg cholesterol, 1,591 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.