Ham and Red Beans Recipe
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Cajun or Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, ground cumin, dried oregano and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
One 3/4-cup serving equals 207 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 474 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.