I've cut some of the fat and calories from this traditional Southern dish. But after one bite, you'll agree it still has plenty of flavor.
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Cajun or Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, ground cumin, dried oregano and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Red Beans in Country Woman January/February 1997, p36
Reviews for Ham and Red Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review