Ham and Penne Milano Recipe
I came up with this recipe one night when I had to stretch leftover ham to feed my family of five. I added pasta and just "built" the recipe as I went along. My family loves it! —Kathleen Mancuso, Niskayuna, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2-2/3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless fully cooked ham, julienned
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and julienned
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the ham, red peppers, cheese, walnuts and pepper.
- 3. Drain pasta and broccoli. Add ham mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 430 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,262 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC