- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2-2/3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless fully cooked ham, julienned
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and julienned
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the ham, red peppers, cheese, walnuts and pepper.
- Drain pasta and broccoli. Add ham mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Ham and Penne Milano
"Had a bag of fresh broccoli and cauliflower, some left over ham, and was looking for a way to use it up. I steamed the bag of veggies with some red pepper and a carrot, then mixed the ham in with the sauce which I made exactly as the recipe called for. Mixed in the penne, topped with shredded swiss, and baked for 30 min. Excellent flavor. baking helped thicken the sauce, and the swiss added a nice topping."
"reminds us of pasta primavera without all of the extra sauce"