Ham and Lima Bean Soup Recipe
- 8 ounces dried baby lima beans
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots (1/4-inch slices)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place lima beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discard liquid.
- 2. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onions and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth, ham, carrots, water, jalapeno, parsley, pepper and lima beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until beans are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
1.330 cup: 263 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 932mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 12g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Ham and Lima Bean Soup
"Made us the receipe stated, i doubled the receipe cause we like to eat though the wk. A bit spicy,but very good!"