Ham and Lima Bean Soup Recipe
Pam Felstein trimmed down her hearty bean soup with savory results. The Owings Mills, Maryland cook suggests adding some instant potato flakes after the soup boils for a thicker version.
- 8 ounces dried baby lima beans
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots (1/4-inch slices)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place lima beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discard liquid.
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onions and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth, ham, carrots, water, jalapeno, parsley, pepper and lima beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until beans are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Lima Bean Soup in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p19
Reviews for Ham and Lima Bean Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2011
Made us the receipe stated, i doubled the receipe cause we like to eat though the wk. A bit spicy,but very good!
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >