I've been making these pies for years, so lots of friends and family now have the recipe. If you can't find leeks, a sweet or mild onion works just as well. —Bonny Tillman, Acworth, Georgia
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-3/4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks, mushrooms and carrots; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk and broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in ham, parsley, nutmeg and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Using a 10-oz. ramekin as a template, cut out four tops for pies. Fill four greased 10-oz. ramekins with leek mixture; top with pastry. Cut slits in pastry. Brush tops with egg.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Leek Pies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p50
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Ham and Leek Pies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review