Ham and Corn Chowder Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups whole milk, divided
- 4 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn, divided
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan. Saute the onion, celery and green pepper in drippings for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup milk and 2 cups corn in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Pour into saucepan. Add ham and remaining corn; simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the butter, parsley, salt, pepper, pepper sauce if desired and remaining milk; heat through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Ham and Corn Chowder(17)
Sort By :
The first time I made this I made it on the stove top. Tonight I put it in my crockpot. Still so yummy. I cooked the bacon and added the drippings to the crockpot. I put everything but the milk in (I even put the bacon in) and let is go for almost 4 hours. I then added the milk and let it go for about another hour. Turned out great. Looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow!
Excellent soup recipe! Fast and easy to make. I omitted the green pepper & we thought this was delicious! The bacon gives it a really nice flavor. This is definitely going into my recipe box!
Followed as written except used half whole milk and half skim. Used the butter and flour to make a roux to thicken it a little. I was able to fill 3 quart jars to freeze because there are only two of us but we both really liked it a lot. We gave it a 10 and will enjoy it again. I plan to can some for future meals. Good job and thanks for sharing.
I used 2% milk instead of whole milk and it was excellent good dinner on a cool night for supper