Ham and Corn Chowder
I'm always on the lookout for easy soups because my husband and I love them, particularly in the winter months. This cream chowder gets a little kick from cayenne and chopped jalapeno pepper. Extra servings freeze very well.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and jalapeno in butter
- until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually
- add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated
- through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 245 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 722 mg sodium,