Ham and Chicken Gumbo
Jean Leonard, Houston, Texas
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (8 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon just until crisp. Add onion and cook,
- stirring constantly, until bacon is crisp and onion is soft. Add
- garlic, ham and chicken; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in okra, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and
- hot pepper sauce. Serve over rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 307 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,548 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.