Ham and Cheese Strudel Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 pound fully cooked lean ham, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/4 cups egg substitute
- 12 phyllo dough sheets (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham; heat through. Remove from heat. Stir in Swiss cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese until Swiss is melted; set aside. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir egg substitute over medium heat until completely set. Stir into cheese mixture.
- 2. For each strudel, place one sheet of phyllo dough on work surface with a short side facing you (keep remaining dough covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out). Coat dough with cooking spray; fold in half lengthwise. Coat with cooking spray; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon bread crumbs. Spread some egg mixture over bottom third of dough to within 3/4 in. of bottom and sides. Fold in sides. Roll up dough, starting at end with egg mixture.
- 3. Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and filling is heated through (filling may expand and come out of dough during baking). Sprinkle each with parsley and remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving equals 218 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 576 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.