Yawns will be gone from the breakfast table when you serve Jo Groth's strudel. The Plainfield, Iowa cook wraps phyllo dough around a creamy filling of ham, cheese and egg substitute to create pretty golden-brown roll-ups that taste terrific!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 pound fully cooked lean ham, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/4 cups egg substitute
- 12 phyllo dough sheets (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham; heat through. Remove from heat. Stir in Swiss cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese until Swiss is melted; set aside. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir egg substitute over medium heat until completely set. Stir into cheese mixture.
- For each strudel, place one sheet of phyllo dough on work surface with a short side facing you (keep remaining dough covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out). Coat dough with cooking spray; fold in half lengthwise. Coat with cooking spray; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon bread crumbs. Spread some egg mixture over bottom third of dough to within 3/4 in. of bottom and sides. Fold in sides. Roll up dough, starting at end with egg mixture.
- Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and filling is heated through (filling may expand and come out of dough during baking). Sprinkle each with parsley and remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Cheese Strudel in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p7
Reviews for Ham and Cheese Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review