- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 pound process American cheese, cubed
- Popped popcorn, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion, celery, carrot, parsley and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour, mustard and pepper. Add ham; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese; reduce heat. Cook and stir until cheese is melted (do not boil). Garnish serving with popcorn if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Ham and Cheese Soup
"I thought that this was a great tasting and quick soup. The ham and cheese flavor is very tasty and my kids really enjoyed it. Paired with rolls, it's a great meal. It also comes together very quickly, which I like."
"I would use hamburger in place of ham next time. Also, I wouldn't use as much garlic."