While I was growing up, my family had a big garden. Mom would turn that produce into some wonderful meals...that's where I get my love of cooking. I share one of my favorite recipes with your here.—Paul Miller, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Recommended: 22 Leftover Ham Recipes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 pound process American cheese, cubed
- Popped popcorn, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion, celery, carrot, parsley and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour, mustard and pepper. Add ham; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese; reduce heat. Cook and stir until cheese is melted (do not boil). Garnish serving with popcorn if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Cheese Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p47
Reviews for Ham and Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2011
"I would use hamburger in place of ham next time. Also, I wouldn't use as much garlic."