Ham and Cheese Puff Recipe
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 pounds Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 16 eggs
- 7 cups milk
- 1/2 cup prepared mustard
- Toss bread, ham and cheese; divide between two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; transfer to a bowl. Add eggs, milk and mustard; mix well. Pour over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 24-30 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Ham and Cheese Puff
Sort By :
"This recipe was been a favorite since I first made it in 2010. Was paging through old copies of TOH & found it. How I missed it when it was first published, I don't know. The only change I make after following the recipe the first time is to reduce the amount of bread by 1 cup. Delicious!"
"I found this recipe in Taste of Home book from years ago and we love it. When I've had leftover rolls or crusts from bread I've use that and it turns out just as good. For my daughter's shower we had a brunch and I made this recipe and one without using the ham but added vegetables and both were a hit. It is my go to recipe for a breakfast casserole."
"If you do not have time for it to sit overnight, it also works to assemble and let it sit about 30 minutes before putting it in the oven. At least it works when making 1/4 of the recipe and using regular bread : )"
"Made this morning for church potluck. It received great reviews. Thanks for a yummy recipe."
"Our family loved this recipe. It was just as good the next day too. I only made 1/4 of the recipe since we are only a family of four. I may add peppers next time I make this."