Ham and Cheese Puff
This recipe is an absolute winner for brunch, lunch or whenever. People really seem to go for the big chunks of ham combined with the flavors of mustard and cheese. Since it's assembled the night before, it is a great make-ahead potluck dish. —Nina Clark, Wareham, Massachusetts
24-30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 pounds Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 16 eggs
- 7 cups milk
- 1/2 cup prepared mustard
- Toss bread, ham and cheese; divide between two greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dishes. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender;
- transfer to a bowl. Add eggs, milk and mustard; mix well. Pour over
- bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 24-30
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 267 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 164 mg cholesterol, 704 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.