- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until onion is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Ham and Black Bean Soup
"Made the best bean soup. My husband wanted to make a bean soup with the ham bone from the week... so he looked this recipe up.. he used dry beans instead of canned, Beef Stock instead of broth...the only things he had to add was 1 t. Tony C's seasoning, 3 "smaller" bay leaves, 1 t. season salt and about 2 T ketchup.. it cooked a full 22 hours in the crock pot and then smashed the beans to get thickness Totally delish! You will have to excuse me now... I feel the urge to bake bread or biscuits to eat along with this hearty soup~~ :)"
"This was a keeper - especially in a hurry. The neighbor Heidi , who I shared some of this with, said it was "yummy"."
"This was wonderful. We all enjoyed it very much."
"I made this with 1 can of rotel tomatoes in the place of the chopped green chilies and it turned out divine! My husband, who is a much better cook than I, oohed and aahed over it! I have since cooked it several times and with just the 2 of us..there rarely are any leftovers! :) EXCELLENT RECIPE!"
"I made this with boiled and soaked dry black beans (1-1/2 c.) I had no ham but added chopped, cooked chicken. It was delicious, got hubby's rave review. Will make again for sure."