Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
This zippy medley from Great Bend, Kansas field editor Margaret Shauers features a mix of colorful beans.
- 1 package (20 ounces) 16-bean soup mix
- 5 quarts water, divided
- 1 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 2 fully cooked bratwurst links, sliced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1. Rinse dry beans and place in a Dutch oven with 3 qts. of water. Bring to a boil; boil for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans. Return to pan; add remaining water and the next 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beans are almost tender.
- 3. Add tomatoes and chilies; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 150 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 1,076 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC